A hearty, warming and creamy soup that is perfect for the colder months. The lemongrass, kefir leaves and sweetcorn compliment each other beautifully.
We created this recipe using a selection from this months collection of goodies sent to us by Indigo Herbs. We enjoy regularly contributing recipes for their website recipe pages. We've yet to test a bad product. This time we thought we'd move away from our usual sweet toothed recipe and share some savory goodness.
Time 30 minutes
1 large pan
Hand held blender
1 heaped teaspoon of coconut oil
1 medium onion finely sliced
2 sticks of celery finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
3 cloves of garlic crushed & finely sliced.
1½ teaspoons of turmeric powder
1 vegetable stock cube or 1-heaped teaspoon of vegetable stock
3 kefir leaves
2 sticks of fresh lemongrass
400g frozen sweetcorn
600ml of boiled water
1 x 400 ml can of coconut milk
120g of creamed coconut
1 tablespoon of rice mirin
Chilli flakes or fresh chilli
1. Prepare all the ingredients.
2. Gently melt the coconut oil in the pan.
3. Add the onions and stir. Once they’ve slightly softened add the carrots, celery stir occasionally and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Now add the garlic and turmeric, stirring so that the turmeric doesn’t burn.
5. Then crumble over the stock cube, add the kefir leaves and lemon grass and sweet corn. Now pour over the boiled water. Stir and bring to a gentle simmer. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Now add the coconut milk and break the creamed coconut into smaller chunks then stir into the soup for 10 minutes. Then add the rice mirin and stir in.
7. Next using a hand blender blend half the soup until smooth. Our children like the soup quite smooth. So blend to a texture you are happy with. To serve spoon into bowls top with a few sweet corn and a sprinkle of chilli flakes to taste.
This soup is ideal for freezing or will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Kilner & Clean Supper Club Smoothie Collection
See our gorgeous recipes!